Coconut water is a wondrous drink with amazingly refreshing taste and numerous health benefits. The clear liquid is found inside a young, green coconut which later solidifies to form the flesh of a fully mature coconut. One coconut can yield up to 2-4 glasses of coconut water and is packed with antioxidants and other nutrients like amino acids, enzymes, Vitamins, and various minerals. Since coconut water is highly effective on the immune system and is extremely hydrating with all its refreshing constituents, it makes for the perfect drink in this outrageously hot weather! Here are all the reasons why you should definitely drink coconut water on daily basis!
1. Prevents dehydration and rehydrates the body Coconut water is rich in electrolytes which are required to maintain the fluid balance in the body. It is also an excellent thirst quencher, thus keeping dehydration at bay. It is supremely beneficial to drink coconut water post-diarrhoea, vomiting or excessive sweating. Thus, the best time to drink coconut water will be after your workout session as it will automatically make up for the water-loss in the body.
2. Aids in weight loss
Coconut water contains calories and carbs in just the required amount as needed by the body. The low-calorie property of this light and refreshing drink makes it go easy on the stomach and its bioactive enzymes aid digestion and boost fat metabolism. Additionally, coconut water is rich in potassium which balances the level of sodium in the body. Excess of sodium causes water retention in the body contributing to water weight. Thus, coconut water not only fulfils the level of water but also flushes out the excess water along with toxins from the body.
3. Reduces Blood Pressure Coconut water is rich in Vitamin C, Potassium and Magnesium which helps regulate and control the blood pressure in the body. Presence of Potassium cancels out the negative effects of sodium, thus lowering the high blood pressure. If you already suffer from hypertension, a cup of fresh coconut water is advised to be consumed on a daily basis.
4. Promotes Heart HealthCoconut water regulates the level of cholesterol in the body by increasing the level of High-Density Lipoprotein which the good cholesterol and reducing the level of Lo-Density Lipoprotein which is the bad cholesterol, thus, reducing the risk of heart diseases. Coconut water is also rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antiplatelet properties which improve blood circulation in body. It helps to reduce the formation of plaque in arteries and depresses the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
5. Helps in getting rid of the hangover
The hydrating properties of coconut helps you relieve a hangover much faster. Consumption of alcohol robs the electrolytes from your body making you feel dehydrated especially the next morning when you wake up with a hurting head and dry-mouth. The antioxidants fight the oxidative stress revitalizing the body post-alcohol consumption.
6. Prevents kidney stones and urinary disordersAll kinds of fluids are important for the prevention of kidney stones. But coconut water has additional effect as it keeps the crystals, that form stones, from sticking to the kidneys and other parts of urinary tract. Also, coconut has diuretic properties which easily expels the water from the body along with toxins.