Pressure cooker is an extremely important utensil in the Indian household as people use it to cook their lentils and pulses. Pressure cooking not only saves time and fuel but also preserves the nutrients. Surprisingly, pressure cooker can also be used for making many other recipes as well. For example, it can be used instead of an oven to bake a cake or in place of a pan to make halwas. Here are 5 pressure cooker recipes which are super delicious and nutritious.
1. Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken – 450g Salt – ½ tsp Water – 5 cup Garlic cloves – 3 Yellow onion (diced) – 1/ cup Carrots – 2 Thyme – 4-5 sprigs Black pepper – 1 tsp Noodles – 115 g Cilantro – for garnishing Olive oil – 1 tbsp. Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
- Begin with heating oil in the pressure cooker. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add onions, carrots, and thyme. Saute of another 3 minutes until onion ae soft. Then add chicken, salt, ½ tsp black pepper, lemon juice, and water Close the lid of the pressure cooker and tightly and cook on high heat until the first whistle. Reduce the heat to medium after the whistle and let it cook for 6-8 inutes. Once cooked, switch the heat off and let it stay for about 5-10 minutes. Open the lid and discard the thyme sprigs. Take out the chicken with the help of tongs and transfer it to a cutting board. Put back the cooker on medium heat without the lid and add noodle to the cooking soup after breaking them to half. Cook for 5 minutes in high heat, until they look as you like. Lastly, add the chopped-cooked chicken pieces and fresh chopped cilantro in it. Taste for salt and pepper. Pour into serving bowls and serve.
2. Peanut Butter Cheese cake
- Crushed oreo crumbs – 1 cup Melted butter – 2 tbsp. Cream cheese – 340 g Sugar – ½ cup Peanut butter – ½ cup Heavy cream – ¼ cup Vanilla extract – 1 ½ tbsp. All-purpose flour – 1 tbsp. Eggs – 2 Egg yolk – 1 Semisweet chocolate chips – ¾ cup Finely chopped milk chocolate – 170 g Heavy cream – 1/3 cup Peanut butter cups – 2/3 cup
- Take a pan and grease it Combine Oreo crumbs and butter in a small bowl and spread evenly at the bottom and sides of the pan. Freeze for 10 minutes. Take another bowl and mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Also blend peanut butter, heavy cream, vanilla, and flour. Add eggs and chocolate chips in the same bowl and gently mix everything together. Pour the batter into the pan over the cookie crust. Cover it with aluminium foil. Take the pressure cooker and pour 1 cup of water. Keep the foiled pan into the pressure cookers and close the lid. Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Turn off the cooker after the whistle. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and then quickly release the pressure. Remove the lid and bring out the cheesecake. Put it aside to cool, and remove the foil. Once it is at room temperature, cover with plastic and freeze overnight. To prepare the topping, take a mixing bowl ad put half of the chocolate in it. Also add heavy cream and mix both on medium heat and bring them to boil. Also add the remaining chocolate and cook until the cream is thickened but thin enough to drip down the sides. Spoon it on top of the cheesecake, spread the edges. Put the chopped peanut butter chocolates on top. Refrigerate till you serve.
3. Ladi Pav
- Instant yeast – 1 ½ tsp Warm water – 1 cup Sugar – 2 tsp. All-purpose flour – ½ cup Whole wheat flour – 2 ½ cups Oil – 2 tbsp. Rock salt – 1 tsp. Oil – for greasing
- Take a large mixing bowl, add yeast and sugar. Also add warm water and stir well. Then add all-purpose flour, stir to combine well. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. Cover the bowl and keep aside for about 40 minutes until its volume double up. Then also add whole wheat flour, oil and salt. Mix well. Knead the mixture well for about 6-7 minutes to make a smooth a soft dough. Cover the dough and set aside for 35-40 minutes. The dough will rise in about 2 hours. Slice the dough into equal parts and roll each part into a ball. Place all the balls into a well-greased pan. Cover with a cotton kitchen towel and allow them to rise again for 15-20 minutes. Then heat the cooker on low flame and add salt. Place the baking pan in the cooker and remove the whistle from the lid. Close the lid and bake for 30-35 minutes on low-medium flame. Remove the pan from the cooker. Let it cool, serve pav with bhaji or any curry.
- Arhar dal – ½ cup Cleaned and chopped vegetables – 1- 1 ½ cups Imli – 1 tbsp. Sambhar powder – 1 – 1 ½ cups Red chilli powder – ½ tsp Turmeric – 1.2 tsp Asafoetida – a pinch + 1 pinch Water – 2- 2 ½ cups + 1 cup Salt – as required Sesame oil – 2 tbsp. Red chillies – 2-3 dry Mustard seeds – 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch Garlic cloves – 2-3 Curry leaves – 10-12
- Begin with soaking the imli in warm water for half an hour. Rinse daal and chop all veggies. Cook dal in water in the pressure cooker for about 8-9 whistles on medium to high flame. Remove the lid after the pressure settled down. Add rest of the ingredients and stir well. Cook again till 1 whistle on high flame. Remove the lid after the pressure settles. Add the sambhar powder and tamarind pulp and stir. Cook on simmer for another 7-8 minutes. In another pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Then add rest of the seeds and seasonings. Fry till garlic cloves turn light brown. Pour the tempering into sambhar, close the lid and cook for 5 minutes to infuse the flavour.
- Carrots – 500 g
Full-fat milk – 2 cups
Sugar – ½ cup Ghee – 4 tbsp. Raisins – 1 tbsp. Cashews – 1 tbsp. Almonds – 1 tbs. Pistachios – 1 tbsp. Cardamom powder – ½ tsp.
- Rinse and peel the carrots and chop and slice all the dry fruits. Take a 2 litre pressure cooker and add the carrots. Also add milk, sugar, ghee, and dry fruits. Mix the ingredients well and pressure cook the halwa until the pressure builds up in the cooker, till the first whistle (20-25 minutes on low flame). Remove the lid once the pressure settles down. Stir the mixture and cook on high flame o thicken the halwa. Add cardamom powder once the mixture starts o bubble up. Stir some more times and then remove the heat after cooking for a few more minutes, until it reaches your desired consistency.